10.14.2006

Lab Tests?
It's All Second-Nature To Me Now

If I got a peso for every laboratory test that I took since I was diagnosed to have SLE, I would have enough to buy my favorite mocha frapucchino at Starbucks, venti-size, for a week. During the early periods, when check-ups were frequent, I was just stuck at home siphoning the family money on medicine and treatment, it used to be a bother to me to go to hospitals and get my lab results. And I need to have lab results with me everytime I go to my doctor. Otherwise, it'll be just a wasted visit. There are some laboratory tests requested like thyroid profiles, and C-reactive protein, and x-rays over the years but always 3 tests have become a sort of "staple" for me everytime: complete blood count (CBC), urinalysis, and edema sedimentation rate (ESR). It used to be a pain getting these tests done -- the waiting, the cost, and later one the time away from either school or work.

Now, it's like second-skin. I go to the triage, present the request, get billed, pay, go to the medical technician, get my blood extracted, then go to the bathroom and collect urine. Sometimes I have to stifle a smile when I come across a grown man, much much larger than me, who can't even look at the syringe when blood is being extracted from his arm.

No comments: